Consulcad establishes the first Virtual Project Office in Australia for the Austin and Mercy Hospital redevelopment.
The Victorian State Government redeveloped the Austin Hospital site which included a new inpatient facility and the relocation of Mercy Hospital for Women onto the same site in Heidelberg. This was the largest hospital redevelopment project ever undertaken in Victoria and one of the largest in Australia. The project took over five years and had a budget of $376 million.
Consulcad was engaged to setup a Virtual Project Office to support the design and construction phases of the hospital’s redevelopment.
What we did
Consulcad established the Virtual Project Office (VPO) system – the first of its kind in Australia – which, at the time, comprised over 100 users in both the project office itself and remotely via the web interface. The VPO software ensured all project information was managed throughout the design and construction phases including:
- Drawings, CAD files and images
- Office documents and correspondence
- RFIs, meeting minutes and document transmittals
At the end of construction, all relevant project information was handed over to the hospital’s facility management group, creating a smooth, cost-effective solution for the ongoing management of these facilities. Other results included:
- Project management standards with centralised controls during construction phase
- Information management rigour
- Improved project handover
- Improved facility management transition post construction